Monday, July 1, 2024

4-week summer intense precalculus course...an enthusiastic, refreshing and fun crowd!

I decided to teach a four-week summer class this year. Sometimes I had doubts because I usually use the summer months to do research in a more relaxed way. However, I wanted to try an intensive four-week course, teaching from 8:30 am to 11:08 am with office hours afterward. I must say, it was incredibly fun. The students were enthusiastic about learning. Some were very expressive about their concerns regarding the exams, and one student even placed his hand on his heart in relief when I mentioned that I wouldn't ask them to sketch complicated graphs. More than a quarter of the class were outstanding individuals with a very positive attitude toward learning. Some of them took my feedback very seriously, improving the way they wrote their solutions and articulated their ideas in general. They were engaged, and some of them want to continue working with me on a project. I observed significant growth by the end of the course and was moved by a letter they sent to the chair of my department, requesting me as a calculus instructor in the fall semester. They mentioned being impressed by my teaching methodology, depth of knowledge, and ability to make complex mathematical concepts comprehensible. One of my students even mentioned that my passion for teaching and genuine care for their progress was truly inspiring. We had so much fun, laughs, and interesting discussions. It created a beautiful summer memory that ended with an endearing letter. It makes me realize why I chose to take the academic path. Perhaps I am influencing other lives in a positive way. I am sharing an image of the letter, concealing identities to respect their privacy. I am truly grateful for having the privilege to teach these outstanding individuals. Every class, I started with a lecture but quickly moved to group activities. It was a pleasure to see students helping each other understand concepts, share ideas, and improve their problem-solving skills. This collaborative environment fostered a sense of community and mutual support among the students, which was incredibly rewarding to witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

4-week summer intense precalculus course...an enthusiastic, refreshing and fun crowd!

I decided to teach a four-week summer class this year. Sometimes I had doubts because I usually use the summer months to do research in a mo...